Boat Trips and Cruises in Scotland
Scotland’s choice of cruises and boat trips is simply huge and covers a range of excursions on inland loch, sea-loch and open sea right around the coast, from the Bass Rock in the east to St Kilda in the west. There are comparatively large and historic vessels, such as the paddle-steamer Waverley, capturing the old days of traditional Clyde estuary cruising, right down to small, fast ‘RIBS’ exploring the coves and islands of the western seaboard.
On inland waters, cruise opportunities include favourites like the SS Sir Water Scott, on Loch Katrine in the Trossachs for more than a century. Loch Lomond also has cruising options, including taking the mail-boat round the loch’s islands. Loch Ness is another cruising centre, with the prospect of a sighting of the elusive Loch Ness Monster being well catered for on a variety of cruises, some including the Caledonian Canal as well.
For real wildlife, the Moray Firth dolphins in particular are viewable via a variety of operators from Avoch in the Black Isle all the way to Macduff to the east. Cruises from here also go to Troup Head for Scotland’s only mainland gannet colony.
The western seaboard has some great excursions to places such as the Summer Isles from Ullapool or to Skye from Gairloch. The island of Skye in particular has a number of options, including a unique glass-bottomed vessel operating out of Kyle of Lochlash, and also on offer is a close-up view of the magnificent Cuillin Hills via a boat trip on Loch Scavaig from Elgol. Like Skye, Mull is a noted area for whale-watching excursions, while some of the most spectacular parts of Argyll are also viewable by boat, for example, from Oban. Cruises here include the famous Gulf of Corryvreckan, and also the island of Staffa.
Overall, there are boat trips ranging from the sedate to the adventurous, but all carry appropriate (and strict) safety certification. Many of the larger vessels also offer refreshments and have high standards of comfort.
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Shetland
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Orkney
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Northern Highlands
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Inverness, Loch Ness & Nairn
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Western Isles
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Skye & Lochalsh
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Fort William & Lochaber
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Argyll & Bute
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Aberdeen & Grampian Highlands
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Perthshire, Angus & Dundee
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Loch Lomond, Stirling & The Trossachs
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Glasgow
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Ayrshire, Arran & Clyde Valley
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Dumfries & Galloway
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Kingdom of Fife
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Edinburgh
- Boat Trips and Cruises in Lothians & Borders