One of Scotland’s most famous nature reserves, this large island was once the core of a volcano. It is well-known for its Manx shearwaters. Some 70,000 pairs, one fifth of the world’s population, nest in burrows high on the mountain slopes. The island has at least two pairs of golden eagles and several pairs of red-throated divers. It also has its own special breed of pony.
Before the island became a nature reserve it was owned by the Bulloughs, a wealthy Lancashire family. They built the impressive Kinloch Castle, completed in 1900, the first building in Scotland outside Glasgow to have its own electricity. Money was of little object. In addition to many greenhouses the gardens had 6 large heated palm houses, 60m long, with humming birds, freshwater turtles and small alligators.
Visitor facilities today are more modest and include a general store, seasonal tea room, hostel, camp site, bothies and other accommodation.
Passenger ferry from Mallaig and Arisaig
Find out more on Rum on Wikipedia